Baby showers are a fun way to celebrate a mama-to-be and make sure she has everything she needs for her baby! You can search in Google to download baby shower gift ideas, or just go on the mama’s registry. I decided to do something a little different and I asked my Instagram followers to tell me their thoughts! (Do you follow me on Instagram? @whitewavephotographyNH) I asked what was one item you didn’t really need and what was an unexpected item that you LOVED.
I’m really glad I asked! Some of these items I hadn’t heard of OR forgot about. Plus, a few of these gifts aren’t items you can’t just pick up at Target.
Please remember that ANY gift you give a new mama is welcomed and appreciated! These are just a few answers from my unscientific research. If you are a new mama, the goal of this blog is to give you some ideas on what to have on your baby registry!
First, I’m going to share a few general items some mamas said they didn’t need, and then I’ll showcase the top 7 BEST unexpected baby shower gifts.
Honest Baby Shower Gift Guidance
- Too many baby towels – You might not need as many as you think!
- Too many newborn clothes – Again, your newborn will likely only wear a few items and some babies don’t even wear the newborn size at all!
- Pacifiers – Get a few, but your baby might not even use a pacifier! Just get a couple to start and you can buy more OR leave them in the package from your baby shower.
- Baby gadgets like Butt Spatula – A couple of mamas listed a baby gadget that they didn’t end up using. Read reviews on some of these items – you might not really need it!
- Baby clothes 0-3 that weren’t jammies – They do make SUCH cute baby outfits. However, you want to dress your precious baby is fine, but you may find yourself only really needed PJs and onesies!
Keep reading for the top 8 baby shower gifts!
8 BEST Unexpected Baby Shower Gifts
- Gift card to a local restaurant – Meals for when the parents are home with their newborn is a great gift! Check out Comfort Baking Company for some great healthy meals as well as baked goodies.
- Haaka – Many mamas swear by their Haakas!
- Larger clothing sizes – Think baby clothes 3-6 months or even up to 2T! A great local shop that sells SUPER cozy one-piece outfits is Puddlejumpers in downtown Exeter. Be sure to check them out!
- Larger diaper sizes – Some babies barely wear newborn diapers! Grab sizes 1 and 2.
- Earth Mama Nipple Cream – Enough said! This stuff is the BEST.
- Helping the mama clean her house – I thought this was such a sweet answer! Give the gift of a clean house before baby arrives, or after!
- Comfy jammies and slippers for the hospital – Help mama feel cozy in the hospital with cute and comfy loungewear. The Top Drawer in downtown Exeter has some great lounging options as well as the most amazing nursing bras – a MUST HAVE is a perfectly fitted nursing bra.
- The gift of self-care for mom – Self-care is something that we as moms tend to put on the back burner and don’t ask for help. Check out Relief Parenting in Hampton for all your “new mama” needs. They are an amazing resource for new parents. They provide a safe place to rest, on-site childcare, parenting consultations & classes and YOU CAN EVEN TAKE A NAP.
There was one more unexpected gift that mama’s LOVED…
Mom’s Favorite Baby Shower Gift
I noticed something throughout my research for this very blog post. Some of the BEST baby shower gifts aren’t necessarily a thing. Quite a few moms were thankful for the friend that offered to come clean, gave local restaurant gift cards for easy meals, and professional photography gift certificates.
I thought this answer was so sweet and so true! A few mamas said a gift certificate to a photographer for maternity photos and newborn photos was one of their most treasured gifts. Any amount towards a photo package goes a long way and you know the mama will be delighted with her professional photos. Being able to look back at an album of this most precious time is one of the most priceless gifts you can give someone.
Because of this, I want to share with you that I do offer gift certificates for photography services! Simply drop me a message to get started.